The 844 education system was introduced in Kenya in the year 1985. Many Kenyans have gone through this system and have successfully secured a good life.
However, many have started questioning how good this education system is. Here are some reasons why this system is quite useless to Kenyans;
- Examination focused approach
- It is broad and burdensome
- Favors only the book-smart people
- Only prepares people for white collar jobs
- Does not allow students to work at their own pace
- An unfair way of grading and assessment
- Fails to equip students with the necessary real world experience
- Time wasting
1. Examination focused approach
This is the main thing that has caused many people to question the 844 system. The main purpose of going to school is to gain the necessary skills to be able to be applied in the real world. However, 844 was so focused on making sure that students pass their examinations that it actually ignored the most important things.
2. It is broad and burdensome
In the 844 system, one is required to study many subjects that are not in any way related to what they are actually interested in. This brings so much responsibility on students.
3. Favors only the book-smart people
844 does not nurture students who are good in other areas apart from class. Everyone is forced to do well in class despite their varying abilities.
4. Only prepares people for white collar jobs
Students are only taught how to be lawyers, pilots and doctors, which is a good thing. But it becomes a disadvantage when everyone is forced to work for such jobs. It has come to a point where society actually terms jobs that are outside this bracket as a failure.
5. Does not allow students to work at their own pace
The 844 system has a fixed timetable for all students, without considering the difference in their abilities. Examinations are administered to students despite how ready they are. This just shows how ignorant this system is.
6. An unfair way of grading and assessment
After years of studies, students are tested using one exam which will determine their entire future. This one exam is used to gauge a student’s entire academic capability.
7. Fails to equip students with the necessary real world experience
This education system only teaches students how to pass exams and not what is required in the field. Students are so focused on doing well in exams that they fail to actually learn the skills they require. This is why there are many cases where doctors ‘accidentally’ put their patients in danger.
8. Time wasting
Studying many things that you are not at all interested in is 100% time wasting. Even worse, when the stuff you are forced to study are not helpful to your life in any way.