The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is mandated by the Constitution of Kenya
(2010), Article 237 to among others;
- Register qualified persons as teachers
- Review the standards of education and training of persons entering the teaching
The TSC Act (2012) Section 23 (2) prohibits any person from engaging in teaching
service unless one is registered as a teacher. The TSC Code of Regulations for
Teachers (2015) Part III further provides Conditions and Procedure for Registration
Teacher Registration Process
The Commission has provided an online platform for application and registration of
teachers. Once an applicant is sure that he/she has all the required documents, they can visit the TSC website – www.teachersonline.go.ke and begin the application process.Upon the receipt of the application, the Commission vets the documents and the applicant is given response / decision within 30 (thirty days).
If the application is successful, the applicant is issued with a Registration Certificate which bears the Commission’s Chief Executive Officer’s signature. The Certificate is then immediately posted to the teacher through the postal address indicated in the application. Also applicants can access their registration status and/or TSC Number online on TSC website.
Requirements for registration as a teacher
For you to be registered as a teacher you must have the following documents.
- Be a Kenyan Citizens.
- Have the Certificate of Good Conduct
- Posses relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- Passport photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Dully filled GP 69 Medical Form
- Payment of registration fee; Non-refundable fee of Ksh. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC;Registration Account –National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001 or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
2. Non Kenyan Citizen
- Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin . Academic and Professional Certificates. NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of original vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya)
- prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
NB: All documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub –
Requirement for recruitments
Pursuant Article 237 (2) b and c, of the Constitution of Kenya the Teachers Service
Commission is mandated to recruit and employ registered teachers; and assign such
teachers for service in any public school or institution.
Teacher recruitment is done in accordance with the recruitment guideline issued by
the Commission from time to time. The commission advertises the available vacancies
and interested candidates submit the application forms to the County/Institutions
where they would wish to be considered for employment. Shortlisted candidates are
invited to appear before a recruitment panel.
To be employed by the Commission one must meet the following requirements;
i. Must be a Kenyan citizen
ii. Must be 45 years of age and below
iii. Must be registered as a teacher as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers
Service Commission Act 2012
NB: Those registered but do not possess Certificates of Registration must attach a copy of online printout of TSC Number and original bank payin slip for teacher registration.i
v. Original Professional and Academic Certificates which may include;
a. CPE/KCPE Certificate
b. KCE/KCSE Certificate
c. PTE Certificate
d. Diploma Certificate
e. Degree Certificate
f. School Leaving Certificates
NB: Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence
of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the onus of the concerned
teacher to follow-up with KNEC within 14 days.
1. Graduate teachers
Applicants must have:
i. a minimum mean-grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two
teaching subjects or,
a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level.
ii. In addition, they must have:
a. A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
b. A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in
Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
c. Bachelor of Science with Education and Bachelor of Arts with Education
with two teaching subjects.
NB: Bachelor of Education holders with C Plain mean grade and C Plain in the two
teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a diploma or A-Level also qualify
2: Diploma Teachers
Applicants must have:
i. a mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or its equivalent and with at least C+ (or
Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or
a minimum of one (1) principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’ level or
ii. In addition, they must have:
a. A Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution.
b. Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with a mean grade of C
(plain) and C (plain) in the two teaching subjects qualify for consideration.
Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
ii. PTE Certificate from KNEC.
iii. Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons.
Special Needs Education: KSL and Braille is considered as a second teaching
subject e.g. Biology/KSL, Geography/Braille
i. Candidates whose training is in subjects that are not in the Kenyan Curriculum
don’t qualify for employment irrespective of undertaking a Post Graduate
Diploma in education and enhancement.
ii. Applicants with Economics/Accounting, Social Education, and Ethics can
apply for business studies and CRE/IRE vacancies respectively.
iii. Diploma teachers with English /other subjects qualify for employment as
iv. All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for
agriculture, business studies, Home Science, and computer. For those who did
not study business studies and computer, one should attain a minimum of a C+
in mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study agriculture and home
science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in biology at KCSE.
v. Graduate teachers should have studied a minimum of 8-course units in each
vi. Candidates presenting enhancements certificates/ transcripts from recognized
institutions qualify for employment.
vii. Applicants previously employed under contract and whose were terminated due
to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement
certificates are eligible to apply.
viii. Applicants working in other government departments who meet the
requirements are eligible to apply.
ix. b) Teachers who are above 45 years can apply to be recruited on contractual
x. Such teachers will be recruited on a 3-year renewable contract subject to
xi. Such teachers engaged in the contract will not serve beyond the age of 65 years
Recruitment and Selection
- Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must be holders of
a P1 certificate.
- Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, in
the County where a vacancy has been advertised and submit all
relevant academic and professional documents.
- Primary teachers are usually employed through competitive
selection interview. During the selection day one should carry the
following original documents to sub-county selection panel;
o National Identity card.
o CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one
o PTE certificate.
o School/college leaving certificates.
- Candidates without academic and professional certificates must
show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it
is the owners of the concerned teacher to follow up with KNEC within
Successful candidates are deployed to serve in any part of the
- Applicants applying for posts in Secondary Schools must be holders of a minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate.
- Interested candidates should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
- Please note that The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in this exercise.Direct application to the Commission will NOT be considered.