Allowances paid to teachers are classified as either remunerative or reimbursable.

Remunerative allowances are paid with salary while reimbursable allowances are refundable upon application.

A.Remunerative allowances

There are two types of remunerative allowances;

    1. Automatic
    2. Those paid upon application


 Automatic allowances include:

  1. house
  2. medical
  3. commuter
  4. hardship

Allowances paid on application include:

1.Responsibility allowance

This is paid to headteachers,deputy headteachers and senior teachers who are at Job Group K and below.

2.Special duty allowance

This is payable to teachers below job group M appointed to administrative posts by commission and deployed in arid and semi-arid lands.

See also  KNEC official PTE examination timetable and instructions -2021

3.Readers allowance

This is paid to a visually impaired teacher who has engaged a reader whose minimum qualification is not below KCSE D+/KCE Division III. The allowance is paid at a fixed rate determined from time to time by the commission.

4.Interpreters Allowance

This is payable to deaf teachers who engage interpreters while on study leave. Special school allowance -This is paid to teachers specialized in special needs education and who have been deployed to teach in special schools or units.

See also  Huge Blow to Teachers Who Haven't Received Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate as Detail Emerge

5.Transfer Allowance

This is payable to teachers who have been transferred from one district to another, provided the transfer is initiated by the Commission.

B.Reimbursable Expenses

The commission reimburses the following expenses to teachers

1.Travelling expenses:

The teacher is eligible for reimbursement only in the following circumstances;

  1. Where a teacher’s interdiction has been revoked.
  2. While traveling to attend an interview
  3. Travelling to a station on first posting outside home District
  4. Traveling from duty station outside home District on retirement
  5. Teachers working in hardship areas travelling to and from home during school holidays.The teacher’s home District must be outside the hardship area.
See also  TSC: A sigh of relief to teachers as they are set to receive higher salaries

Teachers should apply on prescribed forms attaching supporting documents.

2.Quota per diem:

This is daily subsistence allowance paid to teachers on official assignment. Application must be made at least 14 days before travelling.

Previous articleKUPPET urges all teachers to interpret the BBI report to Kenyans
Next articleEducation CS Magoha issues directive on return of all students
NewsPost is your education, politics, entertainment, and business news website. We provide you with the latest breaking news and videos straight from the sources themselves.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here