All the other basic learning classes will resume studies in January, President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced.
During his address to the nation on Covid-19 at State House, Nairobi, the President announced that the learners of Grade 4, Class Four and Form Four who had resumed in-person learning will continue with their studies as they prepare for the examinations.
He, however, said plans are underway to ensure that other learners in other classes also join their colleagues in school early next year.
“I hereby order that they continue with their learning and examination preparations under heightened health safety measures; with all other basic learning classes resuming in-person learning in January 2021,” he said.
The President called on Members of Parliament to use the resources available at the constituency level to support the State’s bid in preparing the schools for the reopening. This, he said, can be done through the purchase of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) necessary to protect the learners from contracting the disease.
“I urge Members of Parliament to engage their respective NG-CDF Boards with a view of finding ways to augment the existing interventions that are geared towards reopening. I urge them to make investments that focus on additional handwashing points, face masks, general sanitation and physical distancing of students and teachers,” said the President.
On Monday, Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha confirmed that there was no plan to shut down schools again, despite the challenge posed by the virus.
“We have decided as a government for now, that those students who are in school should continue to be in school because life must continue as long as you obey the protocols given,” he said, during a tour of Mukuru Primary School in Nairobi.
The decision comes at a time the virus has led to the shutdown of schools in the Coastal part of the country after students and teachers tested positive for the disease. Among them are Tononoka Secondary School, Voi Primary School in Taita Taveta County among many others.
Also earlier in the week, 52 students from Kolanya Boys High School in Teso North, Busia County, tested positive for the virus. School heads have tied the situation to the reluctance by learners to observe the containment measures required in learning institutions.