The Teachers Service Commission carries out periodic recruitment of teachers for all public schools in Kenya. The commission revises and produces fresh recruitment guidelines from time to time.
For a person to be considered for recruitment as a primary teacher he or she should meet the following requirements.
- He/she must have a diploma in primary teacher education ( grade 16) entry grade in KCSE C plain or its equivalent with a C in the following cluster subjects; English and Kiswahili, mathematics, humanities (any) and sciences(any)
- For someone with disabilities a mini grade of C- or C-( minus) in the cluster of subjects named above.
- Duration of the course shall be 3yrs in accordance with the approved curriculum designs.
- Candidates shall be required to produce evidence of adherence to positive moral values.
- The teacher trainee shall undertake three months micro teaching course which is a pre-requisite for teaching practice.
- Trainees shall be required to cover the recommended hours of course work, hours of practicum and pass the assessment .
Applicants must present the following documents to the panel;
- One certified copy of academic certificates/ result slip
- Two certified passport sized photographs recently taken.
- Certified copy of school leaving certificate.
- A certified copy of co-curricular activity, certificate obtained (if any)
- Certified copy of national identification card.
NB: All documents presented must be original and authentic.
Applicants must register in person at their home sub-counties.
Applicants living in cities must also be considered for registration upon production of national ID.
Only KCSE candidates will be registered.
THE SELECTION PANEL
Membership shall constitute of:
- Sub-county quality assurance and standards officer – Chairman
- KNUT representative – Member
- Curriculum support officer- Member
The panel chairman will be responsible for accuracy of all the information in the merit list.
Supervision of the recruitment exercise
Sub-county directors of education (SCDE) officers will be in-charge of the whole exercise from the time of registration of candidates to the time of submission of the merit lists to the ministries head quarters. All SCDE’s will be required to brief the panel members on the following;
- a) Registration requirements and procedures.
- b) Assessment and award marks.
- c) Preparation of zonal merit lists.