The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is mandated by the Constitution of Kenya
(2010), Article 237 to among others;
- Register qualified persons as teachers
- Review the standards of education and training of persons entering the teaching service.
The TSC Act (2012) Section 23 (2) prohibits any person from engaging in teaching service unless one is registered as a teacher. The TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015) Part III further provides Conditions and Procedure for Registration of Teachers.
Teachers Service Commission is responsible for the registration of teachers with the following grades;
- Early Child Development Education-ECDE
- Primary Teacher Education-PTE
- Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science
TSC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements for Registration of Teachers
GRADE CURRENT REQUIREMENT
a ECDE CERTIFICATE
i. Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
ii. Minimum mean grade D+(Plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
iii. Minimum mean grade D (Plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC Diploma
i. Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
ii. Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above for University Diploma
i. Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above
b PTE i. Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above
ii. PTE Certificate from KNEC
iii. Mean grade of C- (minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons
C Diploma in Education i. Minimum grade C+( Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects specialization.
ii. At least C (Plain) in English
iii. C (plain) in Mathematics for Science-based courses
iv. D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
d Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired i. Minimum grade C (Plain) in KCSE and above.
ii. At least C Minus in English
iii. C- (Minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
iv. D (Plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
e Bachelor of Education i. Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or its equivalent.
ii. C+ (Plus) in two subjects of specialization
f Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science i. Minimum grade C+ (Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects of specialization.
ii. Post graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
Teachers Service Commission TSC Registration requirements for Teachers (Kenyan Citizens).
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
Payment of registration fee;
Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC;
Registration Account –
National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001
or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
TSC Registration requirements for Teachers (Non Kenyan Citizens)
- Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
- Academic and Professional Certificates. NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
- A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
- Vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and
prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
Teachers Service Commission TSC Teacher Registration Process
The Commission has provided an online platform for application and registration of
teachers. Once an applicant is sure that he/she has all the required documents, they can visit the TSC website – www.teachersonline.go.ke and begin the application process.
Upon the receipt of the application, the Commission vets the documents and the
applicant is given response / decision within 30 (thirty days).
If the application is successful, the applicant is issued with a Registration Certificate which bears the
Commission’s Chief Executive Officer’s signature.
The Certificate is then immediately posted to the teacher through the postal address indicated in the application.
Also applicants can access their registration status and/or TSC Number online on TSC website.
Teachers Service Commission TSC Qualifications
Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate from TSC
The TSC Code of Regulations (2015), Regulation 27 mandates the Commissions to issue a Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate to a person who;
is in Kenya on recognized education exchange programmes or other
international bilateral arrangements or
not having trained as a teacher but holds a relevant certificate issued to
him/her under any law relating to education and training.
Why TSC may not register a teacher
Section 27 of TSC Act 2012 mandates the Commission not register a person as a
does not possess the prescribed qualifications,
is not of good moral character,
has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence committed against a learner,
has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the Commission, renders the person unfit to be teacher,
is engaged in any activities which in the opinion of the Commission, are prejudicial to peace, good order or good government in Kenya,
Suffers from such physical or mental infirmity which in the opinion of a registered medical practitioner renders the person incapable of performing the duties of a teacher.
Revocation/recall of tsc certificate of registration
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015),
regulation 30 to after a due process revoke and recall a Certificate of Registration that
was obtained through;
- A result of mistake or
other unlawful means
- Removal of the Name from Teachers Service Commission TSC Register
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Act (2012), Regulation 30 to after due
process remove from the register the name of a person who;
- Has died
- The Commission is satisfied has obtained registration through fraudulent
- Has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against a pupil or a student
- Has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the Commission renders the person unfit to be a teacher
- The Commission has directed removal from the register as a result of disciplinary proceedings instituted or
Suffers from physical or mental illness or infirmity which renders the person incapable of performing the duties as a teacher. Teachers Service Commission TSC Qualifications
Offenses relating to teacher registration
The TSC Code of Regulations 2015, Regulation 39 spells out that any person who;
- Falsely or fraudulently holds himself / herself as a registered teacher
- Not being a registered teacher and teaches or assists in teaching in any school
- Causes, permits, or employs to teach in any school a person who is not
- Defaces, amends or erases any entry in the Certificate of Registration
- Applies for employment as a teacher in any name other than the full name as
entered in the Register of Teachers
- Has been removed from the Register of Teachers but continues to teach or
having been removed from the Register of Teachers and continues to hold and
use the Certificate of Registration for teaching or for any other purpose
- Commits an offence and is liable on conviction a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or both.
Teachers Service Commission TSC Qualifications
Teacher Registration enquiries
For any inquiries on Teacher Registration the applicants or the public can Call 020-
2892351 or send an e-mail to; firstname.lastname@example.org.