Home Education Leaves for kenyan teachers by TSC

Leaves for kenyan teachers by TSC


Similar to all workers, teachers are also rightfully entitled to leaves. In case of any burning issues, a teacher has to apply for the respective leave and wait for the approval or disapproval based on certain considerations by heads or agents attached to the Teachers Service Commission.

It is therefore plausibly necessary for one to identify the type of leave one wants according to their need. There are 7 categories of leaves for teachers;

  1. Annual leave
  2. Maternity and paternity leave
  3. Sick leave
  4. Compassionate leave
  5. Study leaves
  6. Special leave
  7. Diplomats’ spouses leave

1). Annual leave

Every teacher is entitled to a 42-day full pay annual leave which are usually taken during school holidays.

See also  KCPE candidates whose schools shut down now knows their fate -Zack Kinuthia

2). Maternity and paternity leave
Maternity leave is a 90-day rest period awarded to expectant female teachers whereas paternity leave is a 10-day leave awarded to male counterparts who have spouses in confinement.

In the case of he having more than one wife, the teacher is only entitled to leave in respect of the one whose name appears in the NHIF medical scheme card. Both applications are made a month before confinement.

3). Sick leave
When a teacher is unable to attend to their respective duties due to illnesses, they are to apply for a sick leave through the institution within 48 hours for outpatient and not later than seven days for inpatient.

See also  Shock to BOM teachers without TSC Number and their counterparts in private schools

This type of leave is entitled to full pay for the first 3 months and half pay for 3 more months. If ailment progresses more than 6 months, the pay is halted until one is able to resume duty.

4) Compassionate leave
A teacher is entitled to maximum 15 days compassionate leave per year for special needs which require their physical presence. These occasions include
bereavement, hospitalization of dependants, etc.

5) Study leaves
Teachers wishing to further their education have to apply for a study leave which is granted in accordance to the stated policy laid down the TSC. A certificate also has to be presented to the commission as evidence before the teacher is allowed to commence their duties.

See also  KCPE & KCSE exam papers to arrive next week from Britain

6.) Special leave
This is a leave with pay awarded to teachers who have been selected to attend seminars and meetings with national interest or benefit their teaching career.
However, the commission may also grant this type of leave without pay.
It is also a policy for the teachers not to leave their stations prior approval.

7.) Diplomats’ spouses leave
A teacher whose spouse has been assigned diplomatic duties is qualified for unpaid leave in the period their spouses are on duty outside Kenya.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here