The Ministry of Education through the Equity Group Foundation is awarding secondary school scholarships to needy and vulnerable learners who attained 280 marks and above in the KCPE 2020 examination.
The program is going to be carried out in 110 sub-counties and 15 urban centres with informal settlements.
For affirmative action, candidates who are orphans and/or from vulnerable and indigenous communities, as well as those with special needs and disabilities who attained below 280 marks, may be considered.
“Only candidates who would otherwise not afford to join Form One without financial support and are academically promising will be considered for the scholarship,” the Ministry notes.
The scholarship will cater for school fees, transport to and from school, learning materials and school kit for the beneficiaries for the four-year education period.
Only the candidates who meet the stipulated requirements will be considered for the scholarship.
1. Candidates with special needs and disabilities (physical, hearing and visual impairments, autism, albinism, learning disabilities and others).
2. Orphans and vulnerable children.
3. Candidates from vulnerable communities in the target Sub-Counties
4. Candidates from urban centres with informal settlements.
5. Candidates: (i) whose parents/guardians are living with disabilities that have compromised their ability to meet the financial obligations of their children (ii) whose families are affected by HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses with debilitating effects that could render parents and guardians destitute and unable to fend for their families (iii) whose families are affected by extreme poverty rendering them unable to educate their children (iv) who have suffered from neglect, abuse and have no support to continue with their education.
Documents required for application
To complete the online process, you will be required to have soft/scanned copies of the following documents:
1. KCPE Results Slip (official KNEC slip or signed & stamped paper from the school)
2. Copy of Death Certificate (if father/mother is/are deceased)
3. Evidence of financial support (if you have received support in the past)
4. Evidence of special needs (if you have indicated that you are special needs learner)
5. Copy of Pay Slip / Bank Statement (if parents/guardians are employed / business person)
6. Signed Declaration by Applicant and Parent / Guardian
7. Copy of Birth Certificate
8. Filled application and recommendation form by Head Teacher, Provincial Administration, Religious Leader or any other leader
How to apply for the Elimu Scholarship
Before you apply the beneficiary will first have to create an account.
How to Create an account
1. Access the login page using https://egfdmis.equitybank.co.ke/register_elimu
2. Click on Create an Account. You will be redirected to a new page where you will register for the Foundation. Fill in all the fields provided.
3. All form fields with an asterisk(*) sign require to be filled before clicking on the ‘Register’ button.
4. Password must be at least 8 characters with an uppercase letter.
5. Click on the Register button to submit your details
6. To activate your account
How to Apply for the Scholarship online
1. Once you log in successfully, you will be redirected to a new page where you will see ‘Open Scholarship for application’.
2. Read the scholarship description and click ‘Apply’.
3. Fill in all the fields provided in every step, then click on the ‘Save Changes’ button to submit your details in every step.
4. When you click the ‘Save Changes’ button, a review page is displayed where all the details filled in the step by step process form are displayed.
5. Once you review and submit your application, you will be directed back to the application dashboard which displays the Application Status.
6. The beneficiary can view more details of their application by clicking on the ‘View Application’ button.
7. The final step is for you to click on the ‘Submit Application’ (button) for review or edit any part of the form.
8. If the code has not been sent yet to your account, click ‘Activate Account’ for it to resend the Activation Code email and SMS.
9. Once you fill the registration form and submit it, an Activation Code will be sent your phone via SMS and email [if provided]. Enter the code and click the ‘Activate Account’ button to activate your account.
10. Enter your Phone Number, then enter your Password and click the Login button.
11. Once you log in successfully, you will be redirected to a new page where you will see Open Scholarship for application. Read the scholarship description and click Apply.
12. Fill in all the fields provided in every step, then click on the ‘Save Changes’ button to submit your details in every step.
Deadline for submission
Duly completed application forms including supporting documents should be submitted to the nearest Equity Bank Branch by May 31, 2021.
Shortlisted candidates, accompanied by parents/guardians, will be invited for interviews which will be conducted by the Community Scholarship Advisory Committees
Note:The completion and submission of the form is not a guarantee for sponsorship. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
Any false statements, omissions or forged documents will lead to automatic disqualification.
List of targeted sub-counties under the Elimu Scholarship programme
Baringo North, Magarini, Kuria East, East Pokot, Malindi, Kuria West, Marigat, Marani, Uriri, Chepalungu, Nyamache, Kandara, Sotik, Ikutha, Kigumo, Bungoma West, Kyuso, Murang’a East, Cheptais, Mumoni, Tinderet, Mt Elgon, Mutito, Trans Mara East, Bunyala, Mutomo, Samburu Central, Busia, Mwingi Central, Samburu East, Butula, Mwingi East, Samburu North, Nambale, Nzambani, Taveta, Samia, Tseikuru, Bura (Tana North), Teso North, Kinango, Tana Delta, Teso South, Kwale, Tana River, Marakwet East, Msambweni, Tharaka North, Marakwet West, Laikipia North,Tharaka South, Balambala, Dadaab, Fafi, Hulugho, Ijara, Lagdera, Suba, Garbatula, Isiolo, Merti, Kajiado Central, Loitokitok, Butere, Kakamega South, Khwisero, Likuyani, Lugari, Navakholo, Ganze, Kaloleni, Masinga, Yatta, Kathonzweni, Kibwezi, Makindu, Makueni, Nzaui, Banisa, Lafey, Mandera Central, Mandera East, Mandera North, Mandera West, Chalbi, North Horr, Loiyangalani, Marsabit, Marsabit South ( Laisamis ), Moyale, Sololo, Kibish, Loima, Turkana Central, Turkana East, Turkana North, Turkana South, Turkana West, Buna, Eldas, Habaswein, Tarbaj, Wajir East, Wajir North, Wajir South, Wajir West, Pokot Central, Pokot North, Pokot South and West Pokot
List of targeted urban centres with informal settlements
Thika, Nakuru, Nyeri, Nairobi, Mombasa, Embu, Eldoret, Kisumu, Garissa, Machakos, Kitui, Kericho, Kilifi, Naivasha and Kakamega.
In case of any clarification, here are the contact details:
If you have any questions about the application process of the Elimu Scholarship Programme, please contact:
Equity Center 8th Floor Hospital Road, Upper Hill | P.O. Box 75104 – 00200 Nairobi, Kenya