The Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT), is a union of teachers in Kenya. It was founded in December 4th, 1957.It is the largest teachers’ trade union in Kenya. Wilson Sossion is the current secretary-general . The purpose of this union is generally to be a strong unified representative for teachers, apart from being genuinely interested in the education in Kenya.
KNUT plays a very important role to many teachers in Kenya. Here are some of the benefits of this union;
- KNUT gives teachers a voice in various educational debates and topics in the country. In a union, the more the number of teachers, the bigger the voice. KNUT is the largest union in Kenya, and therefore, they have a huge say in stuff the country’s education.
- It provides several discount program opportunities to its members. Such programs include; life insurance benefits, health insurance, credit card opportunities, e.t.c.
- The union also provides legal protection to its members. It protects the teachers from harsh judgement and also advises them on what to do from time to time.
- In addition, teachers are also more likely to get faster professional development in the union.
- Teachers are also supported by the union in tough situations. They are also guided in their profession.
- It negotiates salary for teachers in Kenya. KNUT has the ability to call for a teachers’ strike when TSC fails to meet their demands.