You’re undoubtedly thinking about what comes after teacher training. Well. If you’ve been considering, “How do I work for TSC?” but are unsure of how to respond, you’ve come to the right place.
In Kenya, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), an agency with this role, is required to hire all teachers. All teachers must register with the Commission following graduation in addition to their other obligations. To be hired as a primary or secondary teacher in Kenya, candidates must adhere to the TSC’s specified hiring standards.
The minimal criterion for applicants seeking positions in primary schools is a P1 certificate. Applications from interested parties should be sent to the TSC County Director in the county where the opening has been posted, along with any necessary academic and professional paperwork. Candidates that are chosen for service are sent anywhere in the country.
Candidates applying for secondary school positions must possess at least a diploma in education. A copy of the application should be sent to the TSC County Director along with an application to the secretary and board of administration of the school where the position has been advertised.
Requirements for you to be employed by TSC
- You must be a Kenyan citizen
- You must be 45 years of age and below
- You must be registered as a teacher as per Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012. Those without registration certificates must attach a printout of the online application /copy of payment receipt of the application for registration
- You must have original Professional and Academic Certificates
Minimum TSC Requirements for employment of P1 teacher
Primary teachers are usually employed through selection. During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to sub-county selection panel;
- National Identity card.
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated exam).
- PTE certificate.
- School/college leaving certificates.
Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the owners of the concerned teacher to follow up with KNEC within 14 days.
Minimum TSC Requirement for Secondary school teacher
A secondary school teacher can either be a graduate or a diploma holder
- A minimum mean grade of a C+ at KCSE and a minimum mean grade of C+ in each of the two teaching subjects or a minimum of 2 principles and 1 subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level.
- Bachelor of education degree with 2 teaching subjects
- Bachelor of Science with education or Arts Degree with education with two teaching subjects
- Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution
- A minimum grade of C+ at KCSE and with at least C+ OR credit pass in the two teaching subjects or a minimum of 1 principle and 2 subsidiaries at A-level.
Diploma teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with mean grade C plain and subject grades of C plain qualify for consideration.