Teachers Service Commission (TSC), just like any other government agency, periodically offers upgrades to some of its employees. Since there isn’t a specific period where the elevations are announced, many prefer searching for the latest TSC news on promotions of teachers with higher qualifications now and then. While identifying these vacancies is easy, the application procedure might be a little complicated.
TSC promotion requirements
For you to be promoted to the next level or rank, the following qualifications must be met. We have listed them according to their teaching levels for easy identification.
Primary school teachers
As a primary school tutor, you should have the following minimum requirements:
- A minimum KCSE Mean Grade of C plain
- A Primary Teacher Education (PTE) certificate
- Visually impaired tutors should have a PTE certification and a minimum KCSE aggregate of C-
Secondary school teachers
The following are required:
- C+ KCSE mean grade
- A diploma in Education or a postgraduate diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in Education
Higher institution dons
The following are the lowest qualifications needed:
- C+ Mean Grade in KCSE
- A diploma in the subject you are teaching
- In case you have a C-, a certificate, degree, or a diploma in your specialty. In addition to this, you should have a diploma in Technical Education.
Special needs education teachers
In this category, the following are checked:
- A KCSE minimum grade of C+
- Diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in Special Needs Education
The above are only the minimum requirements needed. It means that you still qualify for an elevation if you have anything above the said grades. For instance, the promotion of P1 teachers with degrees is possible as they are above the lowest possible qualifications needed.
TSC promotion application guide
Preferment of teachers is based on various factors outlined by the commission. It means that you can only get a rank increase after you satisfy several conditions that vary depending on your teaching level.
For you to apply for a certain promotion, there should be a vacancy in the sought position. You can quickly ascertain this by periodically inspecting the TSC promotion list. Hence this should be the first step to applying for these vacancies.
Use the following procedure to apply for a preferment:
1. You should check for TSC promotion adverts by :
- Going the TSC online services website.
- Navigate to adverts: Once here, you will see a list of vacancies for promotion of teachers with higher qualifications by TSC
- Ascertain the best position for you: Look at the job description details and the requirements. You can quickly determine the promotion that would suit you best. There are several advert pages, so make sure you scroll to each of them, as shown below:
Upon identifying a position that you are best qualified for, you need to proceed to the next step. Use the procedure below to complete your application assuming you have not exited the page you identified the opening:
- Click on the “Actions” button: Next to the job description, you will see this blue button. Be careful to click it on the right vacancy column.
- Tap “View Apply”: Once you press the “Actions” option, a drop-down menu will appear. You will see the stated choice. Click on it once, as shown below:
- Verify your data: You will be required to enter your Surname, TSC number, and ID or Passport no. You will also need to specify whether you are serving under career progression guidelines.
- Press the “Continue” button: Once you key in the above details, click on the stated option to continue with the application.
- Follow the prompts: Once you are verified, fill in every required field and upload any required documents.
N/B: Don’t fill any TSC promotion form after you finish this procedure. Your application will be forwarded to the relevant department and hence no need for double submission.
For any inquiries or technical complaints about this process, contact the Teachers’ Service Commission support stuff via the following:
- Head office physical location: Off Ngong Road, Milimani, Nairobi
- Postal office address: PO Box 70180 – 00400
- Phone number: 020-2892000
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: tsc.go.ke
- Twitter: @TSC_KE
- Facebook: @TSC KENYA
That’s the simplest guide on how to apply for TSC promotions. What you only need to do is to identify the position you are qualified and then proceed to the application process. You will also be required to upload and fill in any certificates and details required respectively