When one is applying for a job either in a company,government sectors or in a Non-governmental organization,one of the requirement is a certificate of good conduct. There are also various instances that require you to have this document including when applying for a Public Service Vehicle (PSV) badge or when vying for a government post.
The Certificate of Good Conduct is proof that the person applying for the position is of good morals and abides by the law or it validates that the person’s record in the Criminal Investigation Department is clean.
Its crucial for you to know how you can get this document and bear in mind the certificate of good conduct is also referred to as police clearance certificate
Requirements for you to apply for the certificate of good conduct :
- You must have attained a minimum age of 18years
- Have a National Identification card and a copy of the same
- Have an eCitizen account: in case you don’t have one you can create from free
How to Apply for the certificate of good conduct
1. Duly fill a C24 application form which can either be downloaded from the e-Citizen portal at dci.ecitizen.go.ke or you can get it at the Huduma Centres or at the DCI offices located at Mazingira House, Kiambu Road.
2. Make online processing fee payment of Ksh1050 for the Police Clearance Certificate through the mobile money platforms.
3. Present the Original ID and its photocopy (or Birth Certificate for minors), two (2) copies of the online payment invoice and one (1) copy of the C24 printed on both sides of a C24 to DCI headquarters or regional police headquarters.
4. Allow your fingerprints and palm prints to be recorded on a prescribed fingerprint form C24.
How Long Does a Certificate of Good Conduct Take to Process
The certificate of good conduct takes between two weeks and one month to process after which it should be ready to be collected at the DCI Headquarters, Nairobi.
You can determine if the certificate of good conduct is genuine by :
1.Sending the word DCI to 21546 which subscribes you to the service.
2. Dialling *512# from your phone which prompts you through the verification process.
Validity of Certificate of Good Conduct
The police good conduct certificate is valid for a period of one year from the date of printing hence is subject to annual renewal.
This is in order to synchronize the certificate with the criminal records that may have entered into the police books within the period.