In Kenya everyone has the right to access the basic education including those with special needs like hearing impairment, blindness mentally handicapped e.t.c. The Kenya institute of special education (KISE) is offering a chance for TSC teachers willing to be considered for admission for the two year full time special needs education (SNE) in-service course. Application forms are available and can be downloaded from the Ministry of Education website.
Courses offered at KISE include:
- Diploma in special needs education
- Certificate in special needs education
- Certificate in Kenyan sign language education
- Certificate in audiology
- Certificate in functional assessment
- Certificate in braille
- Certificate in Education for learners with Autism
- Certificate in Education for learners with cerebral palsy
- Certificate in education for learners with mental disability
NB: Areas for specialization this year (2021) are; visual impairment, hearing impairment, autism, physical handicap and mental handicap.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
- Applicants must have a certificate in P1 Primary Teacher by training.
- Applicants should be holders of Certificate Course in Early Childhood Education Development (ECDE) from a government Institutions with at least D+ in KCSE and at least 2 years teaching Experience.
- Applicants should have a P2 Teacher certificate and certificate in SNE from KISE or any other institution recognized in Kenya.
- Holders of P1 teacher certificate through promotion after passing PTC exam offered by the Directorate of Quality Assurance and Standards, Ministry of Education, Kenya
- An applicant must be below 50 years of age.
- Applicant should have served as TSC teacher for at least 5 years
- Should be a Kenyan citizen. (non-kenyans should contact the Academic Registrar, KISE to obtain information on equivalent requirements)
- Completely filled application forms in own handwriting (except for Visually impaired applicants)
- Original and certified copies of academic certificate
- Original and certified copy of the letter of appointment by the TSC
- Original and certified copy of professional teacher training certificate
- Original and certified copy of National Identity Card (both sides) or Passport.
- Coloured passport size photograph recently taken